Wednesday 4 July 2012

Style from Scratch #2 | DIY Body Scrub

I'm a self-confessed exfoliating addict. It's only been in the past year that I've really gotten into scrubs and exfoliators, but since then I've realised what an amazing job exfoliating does to your skin. Basically, exfoliation is the removal of the dead skin cells that cling to your healthy skin. These cells make skin look dull and lifeless. When done once or twice a week, exfoliation leaves the skin feeling smoother and also makes it easy for expensive serums or moisturisers to penetrate your skin.

However, my main problem with body scrubs (I mainly just use a muslin cloth cleanser for my face) is the price. For example, Soap and Glory's Flake Away body scrub retails for £7 while more high end brands such as Neom's scrubs can reach £32. When used regularly, this soon adds up. So, I decided to make my own body scrub in the second part of my "Style from Scratch" series. This is a body scrub suitable for most skin types for use on the body only. Feel free to adjust the ingredients to suit your own skin types/conditions.



You will need:
  • A jar to store your scrub in (jam jars work well, but I chose to use an empty jar from an old body scrub. Also to remove the sticky residue left by the label I recommend applying WD40 to the residue, leaving it to eat away at the residue for a few minutes, then rub it off and rinse under the tap.)
  • Table Sugar or Salt (Sugar can be gentler on the skin. Make sure to choose sugar/salt with small granules. If you have very sensitive skin you might want to opt for dark brown sugar however table sugar works fine with my slightly sensitive skin.)
  • A spoon
  • An essential oil (I used lavender but feel free to use any essential oil e.g. camomile, jasmine or rose)
  • Oil (I used a combination of No7 Pampering Dry Oil body spray and Bio Oil but coconut oil, almond oil, vegetable oil or baby oil work well also.)
  • Icing Sugar (optional)
  • A bowl for mixing (optional)

1.  I chose to use sugar in my scrub. Measure out the amount of sugar you want to use. If you want a full jar of scrub, fill the jar with sugar as the oil will mix with it rather than increasing the volume. I used 8 level tablespoons of sugar for my scrub.


2. I then added my No7 Pampering Dry Oil body spray. You should aim for 2 parts sugar to 1 part oil. However, depending on how soluble your sugar/salt is, you may need to add more oil. I added 3 tablespoons of the No7 Oil.

 3. I then added the Bio Oil as it is great for getting rid of scars and any blemishes on your skin. I added 1 tablespoon of this oil to created the 2:1 ratio but still found it a little dry.


4. I kept adding tablespoons of oil and stirring the mixture until I achieved a slightly liquid/watery consistancy.

 5. I then added five drops of my essential oil (lavender) to my mixture to give it a nice scent. If you're wondering, the pink tint to my scrub came from the bio oil.


6. Leave it in the fridge for 15/20 minutes to set a little. (Perfect time for a muller yoghurt or two ;) )


7. When I took it out of the fridge the mixture had come together well.

8. This was the consistency of my body scrub. This is similar to many scrubs on the market (usually in tube form) however I like mine to be a little less liquid so I added in icing sugar until it formed a thicker, less runny mixture.

So that's it! Your sugar scrub is complete. I'm going to review this scrub tomorrow when I use it in the shower and will post a review on my blog in the next few days. Also, feel free to try out different 'flavours' of scrub (no, I don't recommend eating it!) such as coconut oil and grated ginger, lemon juice and grated orange zest, puréed cucumber and melon added to the mixture, a few drops of chamomile oil added, a few drops of peppermint and eucalyptus added or why not try replacing some of the oil with warm honey and adding brown sugar for a hydrating treat?

Also, if you leave out the sugar you've got a great scented body oil to add to your bath or to simply rub into damp skin for the softest skin all day long!

Comment below telling me what YOUR favourite body scrub is and let me know what different varieties you tried out. Keep watching out for my review of this body scrub which should be up in a few days time!

No comments:

Post a Comment